Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Romance


I didn't realize how influenced our (or for the sake of not having to argue with anyone), my concept of romance was. It's like we are fully aware of what ACTUALLY makes our hearts skip a beat, but resort to the norms of society to set the standards.

A minor example: I could care less if a guy opens a door for me, but obviously society tells you it should be expected, therefore I expect it...knowing damn well, I don't really care for it.

Of course that's simply a minor example, but it applies to a variety of things.

I feel I know the things that make my eyes glisten, the words that capture my heart, the actions that make my heart warm. I'm well aware what romance means to me, but we're often so washed by society that I feel I'm setting my romantic standards too low in comparison. I feel that I should be setting expectations that mean nothing to me, because that's the way things "should be".
I'm simple
I'm often easily amused and pleased.
My complexities go beyond that of what type of restaurant he takes me to, or how often we go out. I don't want to create dating timelines & milestones based on the ideas others have said... "work".

We try to mold people into perfect boxes of what we think things should be, meanwhile being unsure if these molds were created by our own hearts or based on what we see around us.

maybe I've set a distorted reality... maybe I prefer the guy that doesn't open doors, but opens his heart... maybe I prefer the guy that takes his time to fall in love quietly, than the one that post it all over social media instantly... maybe I prefer the guy that brings me fried chicken & beer to my doorstep, than taking me to rooftop bars with champagne bottles...

I think I molded my expectations through the years based on what everyone else said mattered...forgetting the things that matter to me...

xoxo..
signs the girl thats doing the shit she "shouldn't be"...

1 comment: