Monday, August 24, 2015

What in the Chapiadora?!


Chapiadora- is a modern day Dominican term used to define a woman who uses her body & looks to get things from men.

In blatant old school terms, a gold digger- opportunist.
In MY terms... modern day prostitution. 

This isn't new to society. I'm quite sure since the beginning of time, plenty of woman lived off men. (This doesn't include stay at home housewives, while they live off a man's income, they raise their children and maintain a household).

It seems like this trend has become a lot of peoples life goals. Almost as if we've backtracked a bit, and we fought for woman's rights simply so we can use men, more so than we ever have before.
I've joked about it quite a few times in my life... "I just want to find a rich old man"... When I know damn well, I'd likely never entertain someone I'm not genuinely interested in, based on convenience. My inner happiness will always come first. 

I'm aware that I probably shouldn't fall in love with the bum in the street corner that doesn't have a job and I'd have to maintain. Love doesn't pay the bills.
BUT.
That doesn't mean I should sit back, not set my own financial goals and simply seek someone that will maintain me. In the end of the day when shit hits the fan, what will I fall back on, if I become accustomed to someone providing for me ALWAYS and someone that doesn't genuinely care about me. What then?!

My mom was a stay at home mother. We saw her raise us and always push us for bigger and better. To this day, her biggest regret in life was that...being "maintained". Her heart was fulfilled for always providing for us, but her soul was unsatisfied. Our accomplishments are clearly all due to her & my father, but I guess nothing is as fulfilling as accomplishing things for yourself.

One of my mothers life lessons was always:
"find a man on your level, but above all someone that respects & loves you"
... As a stubborn teen, I always thought "wth does my level mean, if I love a bum IMMA MARRY A BUM" Then...I grew up & started paying bills... and realized what she meant. She didn't mean marry a guy richer than you to pay your bills, she didn't mean people are below you...she meant marry someone with your same goals...someone that works as hard as you do to obtain luxuries...she meant marry someone on your same page...including in your heart... Never someone that will hold it over our head that they maintain us... she worked too hard for us not to reach the stars on our own...

I never truly understood and for a bit was setting old school standards on my modern lifestyle. I learned partnership is just that... a team working towards the same goal... and I need no one to get me where I want to be... Just good to have someone by your side as you get there...

In the end someone paying your bills will do nothing for you when you're old or sick.  A person that will hold your hand and be by your side through it all, will make all the difference...


XoXo
Signs the girl looking for a teammate, not an owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment