Friday, August 21, 2015

What in the daddy issues!


We all have our set of issues. They stem from all types of things, but a very common source of our underlying "issues", is our childhood. How we were raised, where we are raised, & by whom.. all have a true impact in the adults we become.
Growing up, I obviously thought I had a seemingly picture perfect set up. I had the essentials, 3 older siblings, both my parents (still married & together), a big extended close family.
BASICALLY, I had it all.

Then I grew up.

I realized a lot of things molded me into the dysfunctional, emotional & intimately awkward individual I am today. 

Let's not throw my parents under a bus here. They provided for us the best way they knew how & still do.

BUT...

How they demonstrated love & affection...wasn't exactly..."normal" (whatever normal really means)... we weren't smothered in hugs & kisses. we didn't leave the house or end calls with sweet I love you's... Our artwork did not hang proudly from the fridge.

BUT

We never missed a hot meal, we took plenty of family trips and every penny they had went towards us and our education. (4 college grads later)...

Pretty much, I knew they loved me because they provided me with anything I essentially needed. But was that enough?
... I'm learning, as an adult...that, not always.
That sometimes you do need to say I love you, just as often as you demonstrate it through actions. That everyone wants a warm hug to show that you appreciate their embrace.

The reason I say this, is mostly because 75% of the people I've love the most in my life. Don't.Believe.It. 
In my head, I obviously think they're insane... How can you not believe me? I'm clearly obsessed with you!!
I guess I didn't fully learn how to show it, the way other people are use to. I guess I grew up where hugs weren't the norm. I guess I grew up where love was just understood and not explained. Love just was, and you accepted it. It worked for us, but for people that are new to my life...that doesn't exactly work. My stern face doesn't always say I love you & I never thought it had to. How do you learn to love in a way you're not accustomed to.

The reality is, you don't. We just have to continuously accept the way others love. You have to accept the way they demonstrate differently than you do. You have to love the way someone loves you...and love them back...  & simply do your best to show them...they'll know...eventually.

xoxo
Signs the girl loving the way she knows how

No comments:

Post a Comment